Knowing how to get a job is not always easy..
Job searching can be challenging and time consuming, so we have put together ‘top tips’ to help you better your chances of securing your dream job.
Top Tips for Job Searching
- Look at what you want to do – if you aren’t sure, look at your skills and qualities and see what sector this could fit with. For example, if you are a great communicator, you could work in a customer facing role at a supermarket or in sales, etc. If you are a methodical thinker and great with numbers, then working in a financial setting could be good for you.
- Get your CV ready! Have help from teachers, parents, friends, etc. They can help you to bulk out your CV as they will know your qualities and strengths!
- Upload your CV to job boards and sign up to get job alerts
- Attend career fares, ask friends and family about jobs at the Companies they work for, keep a look out for jobs advertisements when you’re out and about
- Volunteering could be a great way to stay positive whilst applying for jobs, and in the meantime can bolster your CV!
- Stay positive! The right job is out there for you!
When applying for a job…
- Apply for jobs you are actually interested in
- Is it in a suitable location? For example, if you do not drive, is there an accessible bus route to the premises or can you cycle?
- Attach a cover letter to each job you are applying for to further expand on your skills, qualities and suitability for the role. Look at the job specification and relate what you are writing to this to show how interested you are in the role
- Ensure you proofread before you send in your application to check spelling, grammar, repetition, etc
- Don’t get disheartened if you don’t get asked for an interview; it wasn’t meant to be!
- If you get an interview, but don’t get the job, see this as great experience for the next interview. Practice makes perfect!! Celebrate the fact that you had an interview!
- Plan your route to the interview and how long this will take
- Make sure you are slightly early for your interview so that you have time to find reception, sign in, etc
- Dress appropriately
- Do your research! A lot of the time, the interviewer will ask you about your knowledge on the business and the role you have applied for
- Although being interviewed can be daunting, try and be positive and enthusiastic about it! They asked you to be there because they saw potential- so don’t forget that!
- Have some questions prepared in advance
- Enjoy the experience!
Useful Job Search Websites